Monday, January 10, 2011

Your birthday

Today is the fifty-eighth anniversary 
of your first day on earth 
and we will celebrate your birth
without you
I will cook your favorite meal
and mom will cook your favorite dessert.
No matter how hard I try
I cannot get past the hurt.
I miss you.
Today is your birthday
and we will honor you by celebrating on your behalf.

You taught me so much
how not to lie,
the importance of integrity,
the beauty of just being myself.
Because of you
I exist.

When I watched you die
I knew that I would no longer be who I once was
Your friends looked at me like I was pieces of you--unbelievable but true.
Sitting in the dark
I saw the disappearance of your final spark
Watched your last breath leave your chest
as you settled into your eternal rest.

You taught me how to be strong
to accept nothing less than the best
you believed in me.
On your last day
you told me how much you loved me, that i was an inspiring human being
and I knew that you were proud of me for the person I turned out to be.

You were ready to leave and so we set you free
we told you it was alright to go, that we would be okay
and maybe someday
I won't miss you so much.
But today, when we celebrate for the first time without you
I only know that I am not now who I was before.
And I miss you.

4 comments:

  1. I will say it -- because I know how important the words are to me -- 'Good Girl' -- an excellent, beautiful, touching way to honor the day

    sfp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sfp. You made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very moving. I hope your day went well.

    PL

    ReplyDelete